Oven Safety for Holiday Baking

Many folks use their ovens sparingly except at holiday time. Be warned that gas ovens are a source of carbon monoxide when a) the burners are dirty and b) the amount of gas to oxygen is not adjusted correctly. Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your kitchen, and open windows or run the range hood when baking.

SunSpec offers a CO test for the oven only for just $30 during the holiday season. We will tell you if your oven is emitting CO levels that exceed BPI standards, and what to do about it.

For a test that includes gas oven, water heater, and heating system, (one each) the charge is $65.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. See the Center for Disease Control website for more information on the hazards of CO: http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm

Be safe this holiday season!

Buying a Home for the Holidays?

Make the offer contingent upon a Home Inspection. You’ll be THANKFUL you did. A professional Home Inspector evaluates the condition of the roof, foundation, structural, exterior, interior, plumbing, electrical, and heating systems of a home and identifies safety issues and major and minor defects.